Fed up paying ridiculous renewal prices for your domains? Register & Transfer your domains and pay the same cost at Renewal Guaranteed! - Visit RegisterADot.com, $8.99* Dot Com Domain Registration & Transfers - Renew for same price!
Castello Brothers Interview with Michael Castello – I have asked various parties within the domain industry to take part some interviews to give us a little background about themselves, where they see the industry heading and how they feel the current market for domain names are our sixth interview is by Castello Brother, Michael Castello
Known as the Castello Brothers, Michael Castello and David Castello own, manage and develop some of the most recognized Geo and Generic domain name brands in the world. Their portfolio includes Nashville.com, Bullion.com, GolfClub.com, Daycare.com, Acapulco.com, LagunaBeach.com, PalmSprings.com, Rate.com, Manicure.com, Whisky.com, Traveler.com, Banana.com, and more are cataloged at CCIN.com.
1) What are your current thoughts on the Domain Aftermarket? i.e. Sales
and Enquiries etc – General Mood of Domainers / End users?
In my opinion, the general mood of the domain owner is frayed. It has been a rough couple of years for most in our industry, and it’s difficult for most to predict how direct navigation and the Internet will evolve. I am more certain, as this is a process for me that spans almost twenty years.
Premium domain names are still being bought for good numbers. My brother and I own a portfolio of names that reaches across many areas of the domain spectrum, and we are seeing some of the leading internet companies invest in and purchase premium names.
2) Where do you see GTLDS in 3 years time?
Struggling for recognition.
3) What are you or your companies investing in? i.e. Dot Com only Domains
– Typo – etc?
Dot Com only. It is the gold standard for direct navigation and purpose-driven impulse, i.e. what makes a virtual visitor gravitate to a name and buy something.
4) Do you believe in Parking or Developing? What are your tips for either
i.e. Top Parking Platform (What Do You Use) – Developing your thoughts on
what to develop and how best achieve it?
Developing first, but it is time-intensive these days. I would suggest focusing on developing one big name.
A generic domain with attractive content can produce a yearly income and make the sale of the name alone pale in comparison. Parking is sensible if you have a portfolio that may mature in the future. I suggest that those who have parked secondary names flush out the domains that are not making money. The names with the most promise should be moved to multiple parking platforms to determine which service provides the best returns.
5) What is your favourite domain personally or company owned?
I was fortunate that the names I originally registered were interesting to me. Not many people had the opportunity to register the best names they wanted. I would say Golfclub.com, Whisky.com, PalmSprings.com, Acapulco.com, and Nashville.com – because I play golf, drink fine scotch whisky and like traveling to places like Palm Springs, Acapulco and Nashville.
6) If you were starting out in the domain space today what are your 3 top
1) Focus on a name that you are passionate about. If you like collecting stamps, try to acquire StampCollector.com. Developing that site will be fun for you, and there is nothing better than making money doing something you love.
2) Get the best premium name you can. Ever hear of the TV series “Barter Kings”? If you don’t have the money, trade your way up. When there’s a will, there’s a way. In the long run, you will make more money with a premium name.
3) Spend an hour a day creating and developing your website. You will be surprised at what you can accomplish with a daily regimen of focused activity. The time you put in correlates to more money if you sell that developed site some day. Time is money.
7) What’s the next big thing that your companies are working on?
We started a company in Toronto, Canada called CastelloBrothers.com, into which we’ve placed six of our better names: GolfClub.com, Whisky.com, Kennel.com, Bullion.com, Rate.com and Bootleg.com. We are in the process of getting our first round of investment and will be building out these names with some of the biggest investors in Canada.
8) Where do you see yourself in 10 years time?
Hopefully on a boat cruising the Mediterranean rivieras. I would also like to direct some movies.
9) What has been your biggest challenge in the domain business?
Staying focused and in the game. It has been almost 20 years, and that is a long time to be involved in something that changed my life and has changed the world. I’ve made enough money to live off my domain names, never punched a clock and made my own time as I need it. All from some .com names that I registered for free. That is pure profit!
10) What do you feel has been your largest accomplishment in the Business
Running a company and raising a family.
I would like to say a big Thank You to Michael Castello for taking part in this interview for RobbiesBlog.com – Please check out the Castello Brothers sites – CCIN.com, GolfClub.com, Whisky.com, Rate.com, Bullion.com and many others.