Interview with Tommy Butler – I have asked various parties within the domain industry to take part some interviews to give us a little background about themselves, where they see the industry heading and how they feel the current market for domain names are our ninth interview is by Tommy Butler
Tommy Butler owns and operates Glasgow.com, the well developed website that represents Scotland’s largest city – the town where Tommy grew up and still resides some 50 years after he was born there in the early 1960s, Tommy Butler has about 300 .com domains and 800 .co.uk domains.
1) What are your current thoughts on the Domain Aftermarket? i.e. Sales and Enquiries etc – General Mood of Domainers / End users?
Sales are very buoyant, for the top end market domains that they will continue to outperform anything else with regards to value.
2) Where do you see GTLDS in 3 years time?
Answer new TLD’s I think couple will be very successful but the other 98% will fail, I think the.com and country codes will get stronger and this will increase the value.
3) What are you or your companies investing in? i.e. Dot Com only Domains – Typo – etc?
We only buy .com and country code TLD’s not interested in anything else don’t buy typos, I prefer product, geographical and services. Our strategy has always been in that group.
4) Do you believe in Parking or Developing? What are your tips for either i.e. Top Parking Platform (What Do You Use) – Developing your thoughts on what to develop and how best achieve it?
Not big in parking but do prefer to develop but developing takes a lot of time and effort and strategic planning it’s a long term goal, we have basically built our own back-end system of being doing that for the last 12 years.
5) What is your favourite domain name owned?
My favourite domain has got to be my hometown Glasgow.com followed by the very first domain we sold
6) If you were starting out in the domain space today what are your 3 top tips?
My top three’s tips would be plan your market that the aim to focus on, study the domain forums pick up one or two tips from seasoned domainers and analyse the traffic.
7) What’s the next big thing that your companies are working on?
The next things are working on is shopping network of 400 shopping locations covering Europe, UK, USA and Canada.
8) Where do you see yourself in 10 years time?
Doing the exact same thing as what done for the last 10 years
9) What has been your biggest challenge in the domain business?
Taking on the big boys by working on strategy to out perform them long term.” that’s old media ”
10) What do you feel has been your largest accomplishment in the Business / Personally?
Personally I’ve now been in this game 15 years and I still love is one of the best industries to be a when you consider what it’s going to be like in the next five years and I think my accomplishment as the portfolio of names that we have pleased and delighted that be lucky enough to pick up one or two gems.
I would like to say a big Thank You to Tommy Butler for taking part in this interview for RobbiesBlog.com – Please check out Tommy Butler’s sites – Glasgow.com and many others.
1 thought on “Tommy Butler Interview”